Tuesday, April 2, 2013

The Main Principle of Yeshua’s Halacha



The Main Principle of Yeshua’s Halacha
Rabbi Yehudah ben Shomeyr

Seeing as the Natsari movement is extracting itself from the 2000 year old crust of the past to become a vibrant Phoenix in the 21st century we are still trying to find out legs underneath us.

In trying to re-establish ourselves as a movement and a people and seeing as much of our ancient literature has either been confiscated by the Catholic Church or destroyed, we have had to rely upon the non-believing Orthodox Jewish literature and resources to re-establish ourselves. And I have no problem with that. I have stated clearly my position on such literature in Abraham’s Descendants Statement of Faith:


“I believe in holding to, but not being bound by, Jewish Traditions and customs that uphold and help fulfill Torah Commands, and enhance the meaning and significance of YHWH’s Word.  I believe all extra Biblical Documents, (which give us some of the “How To’s’” in fulfilling the Torahs commandments,) such as the Book of Jasher, the Books of Enoch, the Talmud, Shulchan Aruch, Pirkei Avot, Zohar, etc. need to be filtered through the whole of Scripture.  I reject all that which annuls, or contradicts YHWH’s Word.  One has three choices in regards to Traditions:
1. If it lines up with Torah,  Keep it! 2. If it is neutral, neither enhancing nor detracting from Torah one may choose or choose not to keep it. 3. If it nullifies Torah then we MUST NOT keep it!”
-        http://www.abrahamsdescendants.com/statement-of-faith.html


Our problem is that we have relied to heavily upon such Rabbinic literature and have ended up in many cases trying to placate to the Orthodox Jew so as to be accepted by them and feel a since of legitimacy; which has been totally wrong on our part.

Yeshua is not only our Messiah, but our Rebbe, not Schneerson or Nachman, and Yeshua is the one to establish our halacha. And I think there is the key principle in hammering out halacha and traditions in our movement.

“Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.” – Rebbe Yeshua Ha Moshiach - Matt. 11:28-30

The common Jew was trying to escape the crushing bewildering weight of the Pharisaical and Sadduceaic halacha.

“For they bind heavy burdens and grievous to be borne, and lay them on men's shoulders; but they themselves will not move them with one of their fingers.” – Rebbe Yeshua Ha Moshiach - Matt. 23:4

In reviewing many of the prayers, customs, halacha and traditions many of us have taken upon ourselves from the Orthodox, I find have been very fresh and romantic at first but quickly loses their luster and becomes a cumbersome dead ritual; so much so, I actually had to walk away from many of the traditions such as praying the Amidah and donning traditional tefillin for a while until I could figure all this out.

Therefore in order to “work out my own salvation with fear and trembling” (Phil. 2:12) I have experimented with some of the customs and traditions of Judaism which are based in Torah and have shortened and or modified some of them, keeping in mind our Rebbe Yeshua’s yoke, and it has been utterly and intimately transforming to my walk with the LORD!

Keeping in mind however that it is good to know and understand the Orthodox traditions and custom so one can feel at home if they somehow find themselves in a traditional Torah service or minyah or such.

Remember we are not Orthodox, we are not Catholic, we are nor Christian, we are Natsarim and should be our own Torah based unique entity with our own traditions and halacha.