Saturday, May 19, 2018

Ponderings of the Perkei Avot Chapter 4:16


RaYBaSH’s Ponderings of the Perkei Avot
Chapter 4:16
By: Yehudah ben Shomeyr
 
 
“Rabbi Yehudah said: Be meticulous in study, for a careless 
misinterpretation is considered tantamount to willful transgression."

 
 
No one likes being lied to whether by commission or omission and no one 
likes to be mislead whether intentionally or unintentionally. 
In so doing one could get seriously hurt by their actions taken in 
ignorance and yet on the supposed good word of someone.
 
 
I have been in situations where this has happened to me and I have also 
been on the other end where I would have to publicly correct something 
I have previously taught. We are all connected my actions effect you and 
visa versa.
 
 
“A misinterpretation is judged so harshly only if it was due to the 
student’s failure to apply himself according to his capacity. 
A sincere mistake is regarded as an unintentional error.” 
– Perkei Avot Commentary
 
 
The Scriptures tell us that a teacher is held more accountable:
 
 
James 3:1 My brethren, be not many masters, knowing that we shall receive 
the greater condemnation. 
 
 
Messiah warns us of being blind and teaching:
 
 
Matt. 15:14 Let them alone: they be blind leaders of the blind. 
And if the blind lead the blind, both shall fall into the ditch.
 
 
Shalom,
-- Yehudah ben Shomeyr