Saturday, May 5, 2018

Ponderings of the Perkei Avot 3:16



RaYBaSH’s Ponderings of the Perkei Avot
Chapter 3:16
By: Yehudah ben Shomeyr

Rabbi Ishmael would say: Be yielding to a leader, affable to the black-haired (pleasant to the young), and receive every man with joy.”

I say only yield to a leader unless his decision or commands violates the Torah, God’s very own words. But other than that, they have been trained and labored hard to be where they are at and deserves out utmost respect and trust; for if they are a true leader, they are only looking out for our benefit and welfare.

I remember the teachers who I admired most and who made the most impact on me. Those were the ones (even though I didn’t deserve it) called me by the title, “Mister.” I felt respected and thus respected them in turn. The children of today are the leaders of tomorrow, we need to love them, be patient with them and respect them.


1Tim. 4:12 Let no man despise thy youth; but be thou an example of the believers, in word, in conversation, in charity, in spirit, in faith, in purity.

We are also attracted to, and think well of those who seem to always be happy and have a smile on their face. Those who every time they see us, whether they know us or not greets us with a smile. Let us strive to be that type of person. For who knows what a smile might mean to someone. I know I appreciated smiles when I got them, and they seem to come and are particularly brighter on “bad days.” God bless those who have blessed me in such a way.

Shalom,
-- Yehudah ben Shomeyr