Thursday, May 3, 2018

Ponderings of the Perkei Avot 3:14


RaYBaSH’s Ponderings of the Perkei Avot
Chapter 3:14
By: Yehudah ben Shomeyr


“Rabbi Dosa the son of Hurkinas would say: Morning sleep, noontime wine, children's talk and sitting at the meeting places of the ignoramus, drive a person from the world.”


There is a Yiddish Proverb that says something to the effect, that if you lose and hour of sleep and or sleep in and extra hour, that you’ll be chasing that hour all day long.


And if you make Beer’thirty at noon; well you might as well chalk that day up as a wasted day, after that it’s gone and you’ll never get it back.


Ah, children’s talk. It’s healthy as a child for it stimulates the imagination and allows us to dream and aspire, but when we do this as grown men, if we are not careful it becomes empty words and wishful thinking; and empty threats. Remember also as kids we use to say, “Oh yeah! Well my Daddy can beat up your Daddy!” Or, “I’ll get my big brother after you!” OR, “I bet you I can jump over those mountains!.... Can so!”


The last part, “sitting at the meeting places of the ignoramus,” I can relate to! I use to work at a factory and at break time I would try to eat my lunch and read Torah or some commentary of the Torah; but it was near impossible for the jokes, the barbs, and the talk was as that of drunk men, childish and ignorant. But I will not lie it was very entertaining and titillating to the flesh and if I was not careful I’d find myself forfeiting my “life (Torah)” and taking myself out of this world and my responsibility for Him in it, to their world, a place of “vanity” as King Solomon would say.


These things mentioned above are a quick and effortless way to loose and waste your life.


Shalom,
-- Yehudah ben Shomeyr