12 Tribes 12 Disciples 2 Parallel Histories
Let us look other similarities between the Tribes and the Talmidim (Disciples).
· Rachel had Joseph and Benjamin – Peter and Andrew were brothers from Galilee/Bethesda
· Bilhah Rachel’s handmaid had Dan and Naphtali – James and John were brothers from Galilee/Bethesda and were fishing partners with Peter and Andrew.
· Zilpah, Leah’s handmaid had Gad and Asher – James and Judah/Thaddeus/Lebbaeus were brothers from the same unknown town
· Leah had Reuben, Simeon, Levi, Judah, Issachar and Zebulun – The remaining Disciples were same in number; Phillip, Bartholomew, Judas, Matthew and Simeon
· Jacob adopted Joseph’s sons Ephraim and Manasseh – Paul and Matthias were added to the Apostles
· Ephraim though younger was given prominence – Paul was from Benjamin the smallest Tribe and is the most out spoken of all the writers of the Renewed Covenant (New Testament)
· Manasseh like Matthias was not as prominent as Ephraim/Paul respectively
Other miscellaneous similarities:
· Just as “Simon” Peter was hasty with a blade and as an Apostle to the Jews reached out to Levi – The tribes Simeon and Levi were known for and cursed to be scattered due to their haste with swords
· Just as James and John were called “Sons of Thunder” Simeon and Levi acted as such when they destroyed Shechem with swords
· Just as Judah proposed to betray and sell Joseph, so too Judas betrayed and sold Yeshua who Joseph was a type and shadow of
· Just as Reuben attempted to save Joseph and failed, Peter tried to save Yeshua and failed
· Just as Joseph loved his only brother Benjamin, Yeshua so loved John and at the cross Yeshua gave his mother into John’s care
· Just as Joseph when in power in Egypt sat his brothers down for a meal in order of their birth, in similar manner Yeshua had a Passover meal and sat the disciples in a particular order
· Judah offers himself a ransom for Benjamin’s life and Peter claims he would die for Yeshua
· Joseph while in Egypt ruled the family and when he died Jacob confirmed in so many words that such a position Judah would now hold. In kind, Yeshua while living headed up the Disciples, but after Yeshua’s death Peter was commissioned by Yeshua to be the “Rock” for the others
· Just as Yeshua forgave Peter for his betrayal, Joseph forgave his brothers for what they had done to him
I am sure there are more parallels you can make between the Tribes and the Disciples. But as you can see, even at a quick glance, the lives of the Disciples were in a way the Life of the Sons of Israel in miniature.