Sunday, May 12, 2013

Parasha #35 May, 18, 2013



TORAH

RaYBaSH’s Torah Thoughts
Parashah # 35: Nasso “Make and accounting”
B’midbar/Numbers 4:21-7:89
By: Rabbi Yehudah ben Shomeyr


Numbers 4:23 “From thirty years old and upward until fifty years old shalt thou number them; all that enter in to perform the service, to do the work in the tabernacle of the congregation.


The first thing to catch my eye this week was this verse.  Because to me, it pointed to Yeshua!  How old was He when the Brit Chadash (New Testament) say Yahshua was when he began His public ministry?  30!  Even though HE wasn’t a Cohen from the tribe of Levi, He is, according to Hebrews is a Cohen (Priest) after the order of Melchezidek, which DOES NOT replace the Levitical Priesthood as most Christians would have us to believe, but is a Higher order of Priesthood.  This is how Yeshua can be Prophet Priest and King!


Num. 5:6 “Speak unto the children of Israel, When a man or woman shall commit any sin that men commit, to do a trespass against the LORD, and that person be guilty;”

Num. 5:12 “Speak unto the children of Israel, and say unto them, If any man's wife go aside, and commit a trespass against him,”


Why these two verses?  What jumped out at me with these two verses?  Well, it is to show that the same “Verbage” is used, and shows us that Torah is a marriage contract between us and G-D, similar to that of a man and woman, a husband and wife. Just as we make a marriage contract, a covenant, promises, vows to our earthly spouses, so too we make a marriage contract to our G-D, YHWH.  The terms of the contract are the Torah itself! 

I am tired of the lame excuse that people give for not following the Torah, “I know what the Bible says, but, I don’t feel led to do that” or, “I don’t feel convicted about that yet” or, “I don’t understand it, so I won’t do it.”  WHAT!?!?!?!?! How would my wife take it if I came to here and said, “Honey, you know I love you, but I just don’t feel led or convicted to be faithful to you.  I don’t totally understand what our vows say about “having no other”.  So I’m going to commit adultery until I truly and totally understand what it means not to “have any other”.”  Do you I think I’d live to draw my next breath!? 

I don’t FEEL like getting up to go to work and make money to provide food, clothing and shelter for my family, but I do it because I LOVE my family.  Yeshua said if you love Me, you WILL keep my commandments.  And Yeshua and G-D are one, so the commandments of the Father do not differ from that of the Son.  They are one and the same, they are the TORAH.  You see, FEELINGS has NOTHING to do with FAITH and OBEDIENCE.  We stay faithful to our spouses because we love them.  Take the word we use for fidelity with our spouse, FAITHFUL.  If we are faithful to our spouse this means we are keeping our vows to them.  Same with G-D, if we obey, keep the Torah we are Faithful, Full of Faith to HIM.


 Numbers 6:1-3 “And the LORD spake unto Moses, saying, Speak unto the children of Israel, and say unto them, When either man or woman shall separate themselves to vow a vow of a Nazarite, to separate themselves unto the LORD: He shall separate himself from wine and strong drink, and shall drink no vinegar of wine, or vinegar of strong drink, neither shall he drink any liquor of grapes, nor eat moist grapes, or dried.”

Our Haftarah speaks of Shimshon (Samson) who was to be a lifelong Nazarite.

First Fruits of Zion had an awesome commentary on this passage:
“While the Temple still stood, the Nazarite vow was popular among the believers. Yochannon the Immerser was a lifelong Nazarite. The apostle Paul took a Nazarite vow while at Corinth (Acts 18:18) and joined four other believing Nazarites for the completion of a vow. (Acts 21:23–26) According to early church legend, James the brother of the Master also took a lifelong Nazarite vow. Eusebius quotes Hegesippus in his Ecclesiastical History, “James drank no wine or intoxicating liquor and ate no animal food; no razor came near his head.” (Ecclesiastical History 23:4)
Why was the Nazarite vow so popular among the early believers? Perhaps they regarded taking the vow as a mark of imitation of Yeshua.
The Master declared Himself a Nazarite when He said to the Twelve in the language of the Nazarite vow, “But I say to you, I will not drink of this fruit of the vine from now on until that day when I drink it new with you in My Father's kingdom.” (Matthew 26:29)
According to the rabbinic law, there are two components to undertaking a Nazarite vow: an oral declaration and a statement of term. The oral declaration is regarded as binding even if it is stated in less than explicit language. Thus one who said, “I will abstain from haircuts,” or, “I will abstain from grape-stones and grape-skins,” or, “I will be like Samson,” are all regarded as having formally taken Nazarite vows. (m.Nazir 1:1–2) It is also said, “If they filled a cup [of wine] for him and he said, ‘I will be an abstainer (nazir) from it,’ then he becomes a Nazarite.” (m.Nazir 2:2) The Master’s words, “I tell you truth, I will not drink of the fruit of the vine,” are formulated as a vow. According the Mishnah, such a vow should be regarded as a Nazarite vow. In addition to the oral declaration, a statement of term is necessary. The Master states the term of His vow at the outset. He will not drink of the fruit of the vine again “until that day when I drink it new with you in My Father’s kingdom.””
No one can take upon himself a literal Nazarite vow today because there is in Temple to go to in which you can complete your vow.

Numbers 7:88-89And all the oxen for the sacrifice of the peace offerings were twenty and four bullocks, the rams sixty, the he goats sixty, the lambs of the first year sixty. This was the dedication of the altar, after that it was anointed. And when Moses was gone into the tabernacle of the congregation to speak with him, then he heard the voice of one speaking unto him from off the mercy seat that was upon the ark of testimony, from between the two cherubims: and he spake unto him.

This one seems dry, as if to say, “What’s the big deal about this verse?  It’s just commentary of events.”  Well, YHWH gave me a dream about these verses.
I dreamt that I awoke and pulled up tank top which was slightly torn to find this scratched on the right side of my ribs. Which scratched words on a body usually represents a demonic oppression and or possession.
4789
W E A
K N E
S S
Which the 4th book of the Torah is Numbers. 7 equals the 7th chapter and 89 (which in my dream kept switching between 88 and 89) represents the 88th and 89th verse.  So this is why I quoted these verses above.
This told me that before I can hear from YHWH, I must first sacrifice all, second, kill/die to the weakness of my flesh (pet sins and vices), and third, make sure my spouse (ribs) and house is in order and behind me.  I must be wary of Ha Satan using my own family and friends against me.  The first people that will discourage and attempt to dissuade you in walking in the footsteps of Yeshua the Messiah by walking and following in the Torah WILL be family and friends, guaranteed!

“Chapter 7
Priest Duties:

When moving the Tabernacle or Mishkan Aaron and his sons are to cover with blue cloth and badger skins all the items found in the Holy of Holies and the Holy place.

The Kohathites are to carry these items and may not look at them uncovered.


Each tribe has a day set apart for the delivery and acceptance of its gifts for the dedication of the altar. The offerings are exactly the same for each tribe and given in the exact same order.

1 Silver charger weighing 130 shekels
1 Silver bowl weighing 70 shekels
Both are filled with fine flour mingled with oil

l  These are a grain and oil offering

1 spoon of gold weighing 10 shekels filled with incense

l  This is an incense offering

1 bull, ram, lamb 1st year

l  This is a burnt offering

1 kid of the goats

l  This is a sin offering

2 oxen, 5 rams, 5 male goats, 5 lambs 1st year

l  This is a peace offering

Five offerings in exact order as an example of how man is to appease God in His tabernacle.

1st day of dedication is lead by is Nahshon or Enchanter  of the tribe of Yehudah or Praised 4th son of Jacob and 4th son of Leah.

2nd day of dedication is lead by Nethaneel given by God of the tribe of Issachar there is recompense 9th son of Jacob and 5th of Leah his first wife,
3rd day of dedication is lead by Eliab My God is Father of the tribe of Zebulon Exalted 10th son of Jacob, 6th and last of Leah.
4th day of dedication is lead by Elizur God is a Rock of the tribe of Reuben Behold a Son 1st son of Jacob and Leah.
5th day of dedication is lead by Shelumiel Friend of God of the tribe of Simeon Heard 2nd son of Jacob and Leah.
6th day of dedication is lead by Eliasaph God has Added of the tribe of Gad Troop 7th son of Jacob and Zilpah, Leah's handmaid.
7th day of dedication is lead by Elishama my God has Heard of the tribe of Ephraim I shall be doubly fruitful 2nd son of Joseph, Jacob's 11th son by Rachel.
8th day of dedication is lead by Gamaliel Reward of God of the tribe of Manasseh Causing to Forget 1st born of Joseph, Jacob's 11th son by Rachel.
9th day of dedication is lead by Abidan My Father is Judge of the tribe of Benjamin Son of the Right Hand 12th son of Jacob and Rachel.
10th day of dedication is lead by Ahiezer My brother is Help of the tribe of Dan A Judge 5th son of Jacob and first born of Bilhah, Rachel's handmaid.
11th day of dedication is lead by Pagiel Event of God of the tribe of Asher Happy 8th son of Jacob and Zilphah, Leah's handmaid.
12th day of dedication is lead by Ahirah My brother is Evil of the tribe of Naphtali Wrestling 6th son of Jacob and 2nd of Bilhah handmaid of Rachel.

Order of offering by birth is 4, 9, 10, 1, 2, 7, 11-2, 11-1, 12, 5, 8, 6 with Levi not counted who was born 3rd.

Meaning of names in order of appearance: An Enchanter praised God and was given by God wisdom to know there is recompense and to know my God is father Exalted and God is a Rock Now Behold a Son that is a Friend of God Heard God has Added a Troop Know that My God has Heard that I shall be doubly Fruitful and a Reward of God is His not Causing to Forget My Father is Judge The Son of the Right Hand and My brother is a Help and A Judge at the coming Event of God and Happy is My brother that is Evil Wrestling.

Note: My words in italics

My paraphrased version: A hidden message? Our praise pleased God and we were given by God to know judgment or Torah and in our judgments God is exalted. God is our support. Behold a son and friend of God has brought a body of believers to know God hears and they shall be His double portion and His reward from God. He causes them/us not to be judged by His Father this son who is seated in glory at His Right Hand. Our brother is our help and will judge at the day of judgment. Our brother is happy to wrestle with evil for us His body of believers.


With each tribal leaders fathers name and its meaning included:

Enchanter, my kinsman is noble, praised, given by God, littleness, there is recompense, God is Father, strength, exalted, My God is a Rock, darter of light, Behold a Son, Friend of God, My Rock is Almighty, heard, God has Added, They know God, Troop, My God has Heard, My kinsman is Majesty, I shall be doubly fruitful, Reward of God, The Rock has Ransomed, Causing to forget, My Father is Judge, My Hewer, Son of the Right Hand, My brother is Help, My kinsman is Almighty, A Judge, Event of God, Troubled, Happy, My brother is Evil, Having Eyes, Wrestling” – By Steve Barnes (Avi)

Shabbat Shalom my Mishpocha!
-- Rabbi Yehudah
HAFTARAH

RaYBaSH’s Haftarah Hashings
Parashah # 35: Nasso “Make and accounting”
Judges 13:2-25
By Rabbi Yehudah ben Shomeyr


Judges 13:2-25 And there was a certain man of Zorah, of the family of the Danites, whose name was Manoah; and his wife was barren, and bare not. And the angel of the LORD appeared unto the woman, and said unto her, Behold now, thou art barren, and bearest not: but thou shalt conceive, and bear a son. Now therefore beware, I pray thee, and drink not wine nor strong drink, and eat not any unclean thing: For, lo, thou shalt conceive, and bear a son; and no razor shall come on his head: for the child shall be a Nazarite unto God from the womb: and he shall begin to deliver Israel out of the hand of the Philistines. Then the woman came and told her husband, saying, A man of God came unto me, and his countenance was like the countenance of an angel of God, very terrible: but I asked him not whence he was, neither told he me his name: But he said unto me, Behold, thou shalt conceive, and bear a son; and now drink no wine nor strong drink, neither eat any unclean thing: for the child shall be a Nazarite to God from the womb to the day of his death. Then Manoah intreated the LORD, and said, O my Lord, let the man of God which thou didst send come again unto us, and teach us what we shall do unto the child that shall be born. And God hearkened to the voice of Manoah; and the angel of God came again unto the woman as she sat in the field: but Manoah her husband was not with her. And the woman made haste, and ran, and shewed her husband, and said unto him, Behold, the man hath appeared unto me, that came unto me the other day. And Manoah arose, and went after his wife, and came to the man, and said unto him, Art thou the man that spakest unto the woman? And he said, I am. And Manoah said, Now let thy words come to pass. How shall we order the child, and how shall we do unto him? And the angel of the LORD said unto Manoah, Of all that I said unto the woman let her beware. She may not eat of any thing that cometh of the vine, neither let her drink wine or strong drink, nor eat any unclean thing: all that I commanded her let her observe. And Manoah said unto the angel of the LORD, I pray thee, let us detain thee, until we shall have made ready a kid for thee. And the angel of the LORD said unto Manoah, Though thou detain me, I will not eat of thy bread: and if thou wilt offer a burnt offering, thou must offer it unto the LORD. For Manoah knew not that he was an angel of the LORD. And Manoah said unto the angel of the LORD, What is thy name, that when thy sayings come to pass we may do thee honour? And the angel of the LORD said unto him, Why askest thou thus after my name, seeing it is secret? So Manoah took a kid with a meat offering, and offered it upon a rock unto the LORD: and the angel did wonderously; and Manoah and his wife looked on. For it came to pass, when the flame went up toward heaven from off the altar, that the angel of the LORD ascended in the flame of the altar. And Manoah and his wife looked on it, and fell on their faces to the ground. But the angel of the LORD did no more appear to Manoah and to his wife. Then Manoah knew that he was an angel of the LORD. And Manoah said unto his wife, We shall surely die, because we have seen God. But his wife said unto him, If the LORD were pleased to kill us, he would not have received a burnt offering and a meat offering at our hands, neither would he have shewed us all these things, nor would as at this time have told us such things as these. And the woman bare a son, and called his name Samson: and the child grew, and the LORD blessed him. And the Spirit of the LORD began to move him at times in the camp of Dan between Zorah and Eshtaol.

The Torah Portion this week deals the often misunderstood Nazarite vow. So naturally the Haftarah Portion would deal with the most famous Nazarite of all: Shimshone (Samson)

I have seen Christians and Messianic/Nazarene Jews/Israelites take on a Nazarite vow upon themselves in order to dedicate their time and resources fully to G-d, to get closer to Him or to see a prayer answered. But can we really do this? Can the Nazarite Vow still be preformed today?

It is said and understood in Christian circles that Samson (Judges 13) and John the Baptist (Luke 1:15) were lifetime Nazarites, but Jewish scholars believe Samuel was also (I Sam. 1:11) all because their mothers did not drink and this was taken to mean that the child would be born a Nazarite for life. The Torah forbids Kohenim (Levitical Priests) to have long hair. This is to be understood as the High Priests, not necessary the Levites who served in the Temple. Samuel was and “adopted” Levite and thus was not a High Priest and John never served in the Temple for it was run by the corrupt Sadducees and it is believed he live with the Essence/Qumran community. So their long hair was never a problem. 

Rav Sha’ul took a Nazarite Vow to prove he was a Torah Observant Pharisaical Nazarene Rabbi and that he still taught obligation to the Torah by G-d’s people whether Jew or Gentile.


Acts 21:17-26 And when we were come to Jerusalem, the brethren received us gladly. And the day following Paul went in with us unto James; and all the elders were present. And when he had saluted them, he declared particularly what things God had wrought among the Gentiles by his ministry. And when they heard it, they glorified the Lord, and said unto him, Thou seest, brother, how many thousands of Jews there are which believe; and they are all zealous of the law: And they are informed of thee, that thou teachest all the Jews which are among the Gentiles to forsake Moses, saying that they ought not to circumcise their children, neither to walk after the customs. What is it therefore? the multitude must needs come together: for they will hear that thou art come. Do therefore this that we say to thee: We have four men which have a vow on them; Them take, and purify thyself with them, and be at charges with them, that they may shave their heads: and all may know that those things, whereof they were informed concerning thee, are nothing; but that thou thyself also walkest orderly, and keepest the law. As touching the Gentiles which believe, we have written and concluded that they observe no such thing, save only that they keep themselves from things offered to idols, and from blood, and from strangled, and from fornication. Then Paul took the men, and the next day purifying himself with them entered into the temple, to signify the accomplishment of the days of purification, until that an offering should be offered for every one of them.

Here Rav Sha’ul was accused of teaching Gentiles and Jews that they didn’t have to keep the Torah, which was a total lie. So to solve the problem the Elder’s suggested an act on Rav Sha’ul’s part that would prove to the people his allegiance to the Torah, which was to take on a Nazarite vow (which is apart of the “Old Testament” Law) along with other believers and to have Rav Sha’ul fit the bill for the other believers in regards to the sacrifices.

This meant he took on a Nazarite vow, and when the vow was completed he went to the Temple to offer the prescribed sacrifice! Why would Rav Sha’ul do this if he thought the Torah, the Temple and the Sacrifices were done away with, or if he actually was teaching others to forsake the Torah!?

Either Rav Sha’ul was a Torah Observant Jew till the end or right here is proving himself to be a two faced liar, playing what ever crowd he was with at the moment.

I say that the Scriptures are evident and clear that Rav Sha’ul never abandoned Judaism, the Torah, nor did he assimilate into the Roman culture at that time, nor did he convert to “Christianity”.

Yeshua before His execution took a Nazarite Vow at His last Pesach Seder.


 Matthew 26:29 But I say unto you, I will not drink henceforth of this fruit of the vine, until that day when I drink it new with you in my Father's kingdom.


According to the Talmud, it accepts abbreviated statements that are used in and leads one to believe this person is taking a Nazarite Vow upon themselves.

“One of the most basic requirements of nedarim – becoming obligated by making a vow – is that the person have clear intent; he must express himself in a clear manner. This is true not only for nedarim in general, but for nezirut as well. Nevertheless, as our Mishnah makes clear, there is no set formula for taking on nezirut. Substitutes (referred to by the Mishnah as kinuyei nezirut) or abbreviated formulations (referred to by the Gemara as yadot nezirut) also create a full obligation.” – www.steinsaltz.org, Narir 2a-b

Here is what the Torah says in regards to one who wishes to take upon themselves the Nazarite vow.

 Numbers 6:1- 21 And the LORD spake unto Moses, saying, Speak unto the children of Israel, and say unto them, When either man or woman shall separate themselves to vow a vow of a Nazarite, to separate themselves unto the LORD: He shall separate himself from wine and strong drink, and shall drink no vinegar of wine, or vinegar of strong drink, neither shall he drink any liquor of grapes, nor eat moist grapes, or dried. All the days of his separation shall he eat nothing that is made of the vine tree, from the kernels even to the husk. All the days of the vow of his separation there shall no razor come upon his head: until the days be fulfilled, in the which he separateth himself unto the LORD, he shall be holy, and shall let the locks of the hair of his head grow. All the days that he separateth himself unto the LORD he shall come at no dead body. He shall not make himself unclean for his father, or for his mother, for his brother, or for his sister, when they die: because the consecration of his God is upon his head. All the days of his separation he is holy unto the LORD. And if any man die very suddenly by him, and he hath defiled the head of his consecration; then he shall shave his head in the day of his cleansing, on the seventh day shall he shave it. And on the eighth day he shall bring two turtles, or two young pigeons, to the priest, to the door of the tabernacle of the congregation: And the priest shall offer the one for a sin offering, and the other for a burnt offering, and make an atonement for him, for that he sinned by the dead, and shall hallow his head that same day. And he shall consecrate unto the LORD the days of his separation, and shall bring a lamb of the first year for a trespass offering: but the days that were before shall be lost, because his separation was defiled. And this is the law of the Nazarite, when the days of his separation are fulfilled: he shall be brought unto the door of the tabernacle of the congregation: And he shall offer his offering unto the LORD, one he lamb of the first year without blemish for a burnt offering, and one ewe lamb of the first year without blemish for a sin offering, and one ram without blemish for peace offerings, And a basket of unleavened bread, cakes of fine flour mingled with oil, and wafers of unleavened bread anointed with oil, and their meat offering, and their drink offerings. And the priest shall bring them before the LORD, and shall offer his sin offering, and his burnt offering: And he shall offer the ram for a sacrifice of peace offerings unto the LORD, with the basket of unleavened bread: the priest shall offer also his meat offering, and his drink offering. And the Nazarite shall shave the head of his separation at the door of the tabernacle of the congregation, and shall take the hair of the head of his separation, and put it in the fire which is under the sacrifice of the peace offerings. And the priest shall take the sodden shoulder of the ram, and one unleavened cake out of the basket, and one unleavened wafer, and shall put them upon the hands of the Nazarite, after the hair of his separation is shaven: And the priest shall wave them for a wave offering before the LORD: this is holy for the priest, with the wave breast and heave shoulder: and after that the Nazarite may drink wine. This is the law of the Nazarite who hath vowed, and of his offering unto the LORD for his separation, beside that that his hand shall get: according to the vow which he vowed, so he must do after the law of his separation.

It is understood that if one were to take on a Nazarite vow and one was not a Nazarite from birth one would be a Nazrite for up to 30 days unless specifically vowed by the Nazarite to be one for a longer period of time. Like Yeshua said, “until that day when I drink it new with you in my Father's kingdom.”

“Without specifying the amount of time remains a nazir for 30 days (in the language of the Mishnah "stam nezirut sheloshim yom"). This law appears in the Mishnah on our page with no explanation.

The Gemara demands a source for this rule. Rav Matana suggests that the source is a gematria - that it is based on the numerical value of the letters of the word yihiyeh. Gematria assigns a numeric value to each of the Hebrew letters. The first ten letters (alef through yod) are valued at 1-10. The next nine letters (kaf through kuf) are valued at 20-100. The final three letters (resh through taf) are the numbers 200, 300 and 400.

The Torah teaches (Bamidbar 6:5) that someone who accepts nezirut "will be holy" - kadosh yihiyeh. Taking the value of the letters
  • yod - ten
  • heh - five
  • yod - ten
  • heh - five
we arrive at a total of 30.

In his commentary to the Mishnah, the Rambam argues that Rav Matana does not really suggest that the gematria is the source for this halakhah, but rather that there was a long-standing tradition - a halakhah le-Moshe mi-Sinai - that standard nezirut lasts for 30 days. Rav Matana points to the gematria as a reference point, but not as a true source.

Our Gemara also quotes bar Pada who says that the root word nazir appears 29 times in the Torah. In truth, this is not a source for the rule that appears in the Mishnah, as it seems to offer a position that argues with the Mishnah's ruling.

The Talmud Yerushalmi brings these two opinions (although the authors of these opinions have different names) and adds a number of others:
  1. The Torah teaches that the nazir is to keep the rules ad melot ha-yamim - until the days are over. The yamim of the nazir are compared to the yerah yamim of an eshet yefat to'ar (see Devarim 21:13) - 30 days.
  2. The Torah teaches that the nazir is to keep the rules ad melot ha-yamim - until the days are over. We can only talk about "completion" of days in the context of a month, which, in the Jewish calendar, is sometime "lacking" (29 days) and sometimes "full" (30 days).” – www.steinsaltz.org  Nazir 5a-b

Technically, one cannot be a Nazarite in the truest sense of the word since there is no Temple standing in Jerusalem for one to complete their vow with sacrifices. But see no problem for one to be accountable to a Rabbi and undertake a form of the Nazarite vow to accomplish a specific purpose while at the same time looking forward to the time when Nazarite Vows can be taken in the fullest meaning of the vow when Messiah returns.
I think a Nazrite Vow is a very noble thing not to be taken lightly and offers an unforgettable spiritual experience that will teach one many valuable things. It is like fasting in that you don’t flaunt or publicize it.
I suggest if one decides to undertake a Nazarite vow in the modern day to keep the vow by abstaining from touching dead things whether people or even a roach, to not consume grapes in any form and to not cut, trim or shave ones head as it states in the Torah (Num.6:1-8), this includes not just the hair on ones head but the beard also. Head in the Hebrew culture meant from the crown of the head to the bottom of ones neck.
Since there is no Temple or working Levitical Priesthood and for now, until Messiah returns, our homes and Synagogues take place of the Temple and it if forbidden to sacrifice anything, even hair unless it is on the altar on the Temple Mount in Jerusalem, Israel; I suggest when ones vow is complete one invite the overseeing Rabbi and his family to your house and to treat them to a home cooked meal and have a hair cutting ceremony and give the hair to the Rabbi as a keepsake. If the vow was for a period of time to where the hair could grow considerably long, I suggest one get in contact with a group like “Locks of Love” and donate your hair to make wigs for bald children who are victims of cancer.
Shabbat Shalom,
-- Rabbi Yehudah
BRIT CHADASHA

RaYBaSH’s Brit Chadashah Connections
Parashah # 35: Nasso “Make an accounting”
Acts 21:17-26
By: Rabbi Yehudah ben Shomeyr


Our Torah and Haftarah Portion this week deals with the Nazarite vow. The Torah Portion gives the Laws of one who takes on a Nazarite vow, the Haftarah tells of one (Shimshon) who was a lifetime under the vow. A little known fact is that in the Brit Chadasha Rav Sha’ul took a Nazarite vow to prove he was a Torah Observant Jew and was not teaching Jews or Gentiles not to keep Torah.


ACTS 28:17 And it came to pass, that after three days Paul called the chief of the Jews together: and when they were come together, he said unto them, Men [and] brethren, though I have committed nothing against the people, or customs of our fathers, yet was I delivered prisoner from Jerusalem into the hands of the Romans.


Here Rav Sha’ul proudly proclaims that not only has he kept the Torah, but also the traditions and customs of the Father’s relating to the performance of the commandments!


ACTS 21:17-26 And when we were come to Jerusalem, the brethren received us gladly. And the day following Paul went in with us unto James; and all the elders were present. And when he had saluted them, he declared particularly what things God had wrought among the Gentiles by his ministry. And when they heard it, they glorified the Lord, and said unto him, Thou seest, brother, how many thousands of Jews there are which believe; and they are all zealous of the law: And they are informed of thee, that thou teachest all the Jews which are among the Gentiles to forsake Moses, saying that they ought not to circumcise their children, neither to walk after the customs. What is it therefore? the multitude must needs come together: for they will hear that thou art come. Do therefore this that we say to thee: We have four men which have a vow on them; Them take, and purify thyself with them, and be at charges with them, that they may shave their heads: and all may know that those things, whereof they were informed concerning thee, are nothing; but that thou thyself also walkest orderly, and keepest the law. As touching the Gentiles which believe, we have written and concluded that they observe no such thing, save only that they keep themselves from things offered to idols, and from blood, and from strangled, and from fornication. Then Paul took the men, and the next day purifying himself with them entered into the temple, to signify the accomplishment of the days of purification, until that an offering should be offered for every one of them.


Here Rav Sha’ul was accused of teaching Gentiles and Jews that they did’t have to keep the Torah, which was a total lie. So to solve the problem the Elder’s suggested an act on Rav Sha’ul’s part that would prove to the people his allegiance to the Torah, which was to take on a Nazarite vow (which is apart of the “Old Testament” Law) along with other believers and to have Rav Sha’ul fit the bill for the other believers in regards to the sacrifices.

This meant he took on a Nazarite vow, and when the vow was completed he went to the Temple to offer the prescribed sacrifice! Why would Rav Sha’ul do this if he thought the Torah, the Temple and the Sacrifices were done away with, or if he actually was teaching others to forsake the Torah!?

Either Rav Sha’ul was a Torah Observant Jew till the end or right here is proving himself to be a two faced liar, playing what ever crowd he was with at the moment.

I say that the Scriptures are evident and clear that Rav Sha’ul never abandoned Judaism, the Torah, nor did he assimilate into the Roman culture at that time, nor did he convert to “Christianity”.

Unfortunately As Kefa said in II Peter 3:15-16 that Rav Sha’ul’s texts has been and it is evident even now have been taken out of context to suit a bias Anti-Jewish and Anti-Torah doctrine in the majority of Christianity.

Bottom line is, if your interpretation of Rav Sha’ul’s writings is anything but pro-Torah, you have sorely misinterpreted, misrepresented, and misunderstood this great Nazarene Jew.

Shabbat Shalom and Shavuah Tov!
--Rabbi Yehudah


Watch the Torah, Haftarah and Brit Chadasha commentaries on Youtube: